Physical Access to Parks Library Building and Collections
For assistance with physical access needs, please call the Space and Stacks Management Unit at 515 294-0444 or inquire at the Main Desk, located to your immediate left as you enter the Library's main entrance.
Entering Parks Library
- Parking available on west side of building (requires permit)
- Access ramps are located at the Library's main entrance
- Automatic, electronic eye-activated entry/exit at the Library's main entrance
- Main elevators are located in the Main Lobby, along the west wall of the Lobby.
- These elevators lead to the five floors (Lower Level, and Floors 1 through 4) of the newer part of the Library.
- The elevator for access to the Tiers is located in the Learning Connections Center (First floor, along northeast wall near classroom 134).
- This elevator leads to the seven tiers (floors) in the older part of the Library, and also to the five floors of the newer part of the Library.
- All elevators are labeled with Braille.
ADA-compliant Gender-inclusive single-user restrooms: Parks Library has five new ADA-compliant, gender-inclusive, single-user restrooms on the Lower Level, and Floors 1 (street level), 2, 3, and 4. These restrooms are located immediately north of the central staircase on each of these floors, which means they are very conveniently located. If you have a service animal, use a wheelchair, scooter, walker, need assistance from an aide, or just need or want more space, you'll find there is plenty of room to navigate in these new spacious and comfortable restrooms.
ADA-compliant Women's restrooms: In addition, Parks Library has five new ADA-compliant Women's multiple-user restrooms on the Lower Level, and Floors 1, 2, 3, and 4. These are located immediately north of the new ADA-compliant singler user restrooms. Each of these Women's restrooms includes a larger stall for accommodation purposes, with plenty of room to accommodate wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, an assistant or family member, or service animal.
ADA-compliant Men's Restrooms: New! As of Fall 2019, Parks Library now has five new ADA-compliant Men's multiple-user restrooms on the Lower Level, and Floors 1, 2, 3, and 4. These are located north of the gender-inclusive ADA-compliant singler user restrooms and the Women's restrooms. Each of these Men's restrooms includes a larger stall for accommodation purposes, with plenty of room to accommodate wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, an assistant or family member, or service animal.
No restrooms are located in the Tiers or the older parts of the Library building; these older areas are on the extreme east side of the Library building.
- Elevator access to restrooms: From the main elevators (located near the southwest corner of the Lower Level and Floors 1, 2, 3, and 4), you will find the new ADA-compliant single-user and Women's multiple-user ADA-compliant restrooms located along the east wall and immediately north of the central staircase. Older accessible restrooms on Floors 2, 3, and 4 are all located within close proximity of the Library's main elevators located along the west wall.
Note that restrooms on Floor 1 are the busiest in the Library and tend to be very crowded repeatedly throughout the day, particularly during Fall and Spring semesters. ADA-compliant and accessible restrooms on the Lower Level and Floors 2, 3, and 4 may be better choices for this reason.
Water Fountains & Bottle Filling Stations
- Accessible drinking fountains and bottle filling stations are located on Floors 1, 2, 3, and 4 within close proximity of the Library's main elevators located along the west wall.
- Restrooms accommodating wheelchairs are located on all floors including Lower Level
- Wheelchair available at Main Desk
- Free campus-use phone at wheelchair height located on Lower Level near the elevators, approaching central staircase
- Library workstations at wheelchair height
- NEW! As of Fall 2019, the Lobby now includes almost 50 height-adjustable tables with workstations; each workstation has two adjustable monitors. The right front corner of each table has a tab to toggle forward or backward to lower and raise the table to a height comfortable for you. These tables are located in the central Lobby area and along the south windows, west of the library entrance doors.
- Floor 1: Accessibility Resources Room, LCC #2, Floor 1 (all workstations are on electronic height-adjustable tables)
- Floor 1: Classroom 134, two height-adjustable tables, each one supporting two Dell workstations.Table height is adjustable by using the crank lever located underneath the right corner of each table. When you enter Classroom 134, these tables are on either side of the central aisle, and they are the first computer tables you encounter when you enter enter the room.
- Floor 3: Electronic height-adjustable tables, along South windows (bring your own laptop, or check one out from Tech Lending). Be sure to check that the table is plugged in to the outlet; some users may unplug the tables in order to plug in their own devices.
- Tech Lending is located at 117 Parks Library, located in the new Collaboration Corridor slightly to your left as you enter Parks Library.
If you are unable to evacuate the Library via the stairs or are with someone who is unable to use the stairs, go to the nearest enclosed stairwell. Tell anyone where you are and give them the stairwell and floor location on which you are located. If you were given information about a location of a person who is unable to use the stairs, immediately report this information to library staff at the command center near the east door of Atanasoff. Library staff then will notify emergency personnel (DPS, Fire, and/or Medical) of the location and arrange for the person's departure from the building.