Understanding copyright law isn't easy. Some resources for answering common questions are provided below:
What is copyright?
- Understanding Copyright Library Guide: A guide that reviews copyright basics and definitions.
- U.S. Copyright Office: A website where you can learn copyright basics, review copyright records, or register your works.
How can I navigate fair use in my class?
- Copyright for Research and Teaching Guide: A guide covering fair use and other copyright exemptions for teaching & learning.
- Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use: A collection of fair use best practices for various types of material.
- Fair Use Fundamentals Infographic (pdf): An infographic that highlights the four factors of fair use and emphasizes good examples of fair use.
How does copyright affect my thesis/dissertation?
- Copyright for Theses, Dissertations, and Creative Components: A guide for graduate students on copyright and your work.
How can I teach my students about copyright?
- Teaching Copyright: Handouts, lesson plans, and other educational materials for teaching and learning about copyright.
Other support available
For legal advice, contact the Office of University Counsel.
For research/teaching support, chat with us to get help.