Open Access is the free, immediate, online availability of research articles, coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment. - Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
Open Access Week is Oct. 24-30, 2022, and the theme is Open for Climate Justice. Celebratewith the Iowa State University Library. The embedded graphic, Open Access by the Numbers, presents updated statistics about how your library supports open resources.
- Since January 2019, the University Library has supported the publication of 863 open access articles in 358 journals through a growing list of agreements with publishers.
- The Digital Press connects readers across the globe with quality scholarship in the areas of Iowa State’s curricular and research offerings: Top 10 countries: United States, China, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, United Kingdom, Canada, India, Australia, South Korea
- DataShare contains over 5.8 TB of open access research data. Includes 170 data sets and 372 figures published from over 100 authors
- The Digital Repository has received over 30 million downloads since its inception. The most cited materials on the platform include a healthy mix of humanities and STEM content.
- The use of open educational resources (OER) has saved ISU students $1.4 million since 2018. One-third of this cost savings is due to projects supported by the Miller Mini-Grant Program.
At ISU, the Library assists scholars with promoting their work through the ISU Digital Repository and DataShare, ISU’s open data repository. For more information about open access and these services, visit the University Library’s Open Scholarship Services website.