Barks@Parks happens Prep Week and library will be open 24/7 Finals Week
The end of the spring semester draws near. The days are longer, it’s warmer outside, and the library is busier. Another sign is Parks Library will be open around the clock May 8-11, 2023, during Finals Week. Students, faculty and staff recognize the importance and scope of library services and that access to collections and facilities is key to academic success.
“Students rely on extended library access during Finals Week to complete projects and prepare for exams,” said Hilary Seo, dean of library services. “We are bringing back 24/7 open hours to provide a quiet, distraction-free study space. Other student favorites return this semester, too, like Barks@Parks during Prep Week.”
A variety of activities to foster student wellness will take place in Parks Library (Upper Rotunda unless stated otherwise) during prep and finals weeks:
- Hours for Barks@Parks during Prep Week: noon-3 p.m., Monday-Friday. Follow the paw prints.
- During Barks@Parks, students can visit the Study Abroad Center to spin a wheel for prizes and ask questions. There will be a chance to win a study abroad scholarship.
- Coloring pages and books, puzzles, and games.
- Mindfulness Room, Room 297, is available during library hours.
- Chair massages will be offered three days during Prep Week. There will be one chair available noon-3 p.m.Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
- ISU Student Wellness Peer Wellness Educators will be on hand to talk with students about wellness strategies and to hand out wellness related items.
The library boasts reliable Internet access and USB ports and electric outlets for devices are plentiful. Students say the library is bright and full of other people engaged in coursework, too, which makes it a good alternative to a dorm room or apartment, especially at night.
When students reach the point where they’ve had enough and need to rest, they are encouraged to go home to sleep. Over 10,000 people use the library each day and more during the next few weeks, and student academic success, safety and space are the focus areas for library staff.
Bookends Café in Parks Library will be open regular business hours during Prep Week and through Thursday of Finals Week. Students and faculty can stop by for food and fuel until 10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday and until 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
In partnership with ISU Dining, free coffee and fruit snacks will be available, in the Learning Connections Center as you come into the building, late nights during prep and finals weeks.
Additional Spaces and Resources
Special Collections and University Archives will maintain regular hours. For additional information about resources and services, visit the University Library website. For dining center information, visit the ISU Dining website. For campus IT information, visit the IT Solution Center website.