March is National Nutrition Month®
National Nutrition Month® is an annual nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
- Discover the benefits of a healthy eating style.
- Choose healthy food and drinks.
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Select healthier options when eating away from home.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the right amount, as suggested by MyPlate.
- Keep it simple. Eating right doesn't have to be complicated.
- Make food safety part of an everyday routine.
- Help to reduce food waste and consider what’s on hand before buying more at the store.
- Find enjoyable activities and be physically active most days of the week.
- Consult the nutrition experts. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet any lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
The University Library provides Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics publications as well as nutrition resources from a wide variety of other reputable publishers. Below is a small sampling. Others can be found by using Quick Search on the Library website or browsing the shelves at RA784 (Human Nutrition – Parks Library, Tier 4) and/or TX355 (Healthy Foods – Parks Library, Tier 7).
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Complete Food and Nutrition Guide – Available online and in hardcopy at: RA784 D89 2017 (Tier 4)
The Angry Chef's Guide to Spotting Bullsh*t in the World of Food: Bad Science and the Truth about Healthy Eating – RA784 W3635 2018 (Parks Library, Leisure Collection)
The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully – QP141 C315 2017 (Tier 4)
Food Myths & Facts – available online
Healthy Eating Every Day – RA784 C283 2017 (Tier 4)
Healthy Foods: Fact vs. Fiction – TX355 G67 2010 (Tier 7)
Lore of Nutrition: Challenging Conventional Dietary Beliefs – RA784 N597x 2017 (Parks Library, Leisure Collection)
Nutrition: A Beginners Guide – RA784 B694x 2013 (Tier 4)
For more information about the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and nutrition careers check out:
Nutrition and Dietetics: Practice and Future Trends – RM217 W56 2014 (Tier 4)
Visit the National Nutrition Month website for more information on activities and educational materials.