Special Collections Department
For information on how to request images from the Special Collections Department and University Archives, please read our policies and use fees for reproduced scanned images from collections in the Department.
(Updated July 2005)
- Photocopying from the Department's holdings will be allowed depending on the condition and size of the items.
- Users may use the photocopier in the department to copy items from Special Collections holdings. Department staff may provide handling and photocopying instructions to ensure that items are not damaged.
- Patrons who are unable to make their own photocopies in the department may order photocopies using the Document Delivery service. The Department reserves the right to limit the size of photocopy orders. In general, no more than 10% of a collection may be copied, and orders over 100 pages may be split into multiple orders (with separate payment required for each order).
- All photographic materials held in the Department of Special Collections do not circulate.
- Photocopying of the Department's photographic materials will be allowed in the Department depending on their condition. The Reference Archivist or Head, Special Collections Department, will evaluate the condition of the materials to render a decision on photocopying.
- Upon approval of the Head, Special Collections Department, the user may bring a camera and related equipment to the Department to photograph or videotape these materials. However, a "Permission to Publish or Quote" form must be filled out and signed by the user and the Head, Special Collections Department. The proper credit line will be supplied and its use in all publications is required.
- Any negatives created during photographic reproduction are the property of Iowa State University and shall be placed in the custody of the Department of Special Collections.
- Permission for the reproduction of all photographs is on a one-time only, non-exclusive basis.
- If the photographic image(s) in question is intended to be used in a publication, a "Permission to Publish or Quote" form must be filled out and signed by the user and the Head, Special Collections Department. The proper credit line will be supplied and its use in all publications is required.
- In some cases, books may be used in class presentations by faculty. Permission must be granted by the Head, Special Collections Department. Photocopies from these items may be made in the department only if the condition of the item allows. Patrons must have the permission of the Reference Archivist or Head, Special Collections Department.
- Rare books and University Archives books may be photographed by selected Ames area photographers or by individuals bringing their own equipment into the department with the permission of the Reference Archivist or Head, Special Collections Department. It is the responsibility of the patron to obtain the appropriate copyright permission.
- Users are requested to use the photocopy machine in the department unless other arrangements within the building are approved.
- Donors of collections or staff from the originating offices may be allowed to borrow specific items from collections with the permission of the Head, Special Collections Department, if photocopying of these materials is not adequate. In such cases a Departmental Special Loan Form will be filled out and a copy given to the user. The terms of the loan are subject to the rules found on this form.
- Photocopies of blueprints are allowed only with the permission of the Head, Special Collections Department depending on the condition of the blueprint.
Audio and Video Tapes, Films:
- These materials will be listened to and/or viewed within the Department.
- Film/videotape/DVD use for classroom presentation requires permission of the Special Collections Dept. Head. Copies of these materials can be made only with the permission of the copyright holder.
- The Special Collections Department will make duplicates from its holdings when possible. Please read our polcies and use fees regarding audio visial materials for more information.
- Photocopy charges:
- ISU copy card: $0.20: 8 1/2" x 11" and 8 1/2" x 14" paper
- Cash: $0.20: 8 1/2" x 11" and 8 1/2" x 14" paper
- Document Delivery (photocopy orders for off-site patrons):
- Base fee of $15.00 (including the first 20 pages) and $0.10 per page over 20 pages.
- Payment for document delivery orders may be made by check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover).