Services Center building has undergone a
number of name changes throughout its
history. The building was initially
named the Christian Association Hall when
construction began in 1904. However,
the name was soon changed to Alumni Hall in
1905. The Alumni Hall name remained in
place for more than 100 years, until it was
recently changed to Enrollment Services
Center in 2008.
was built with a swimming pool,
cafe, and bowling alley. In 1914, after the opening of the
Gymnasium swimming pool, the Alumni Hall pool was replaced with a larger dining room. Also,
an addition to the south was built at this time to accommodate a larger kitchen.
In 1928, after the opening of the
Memorial Union, the dining room, known as the "College
Inn," was replaced with additional study rooms and offices. The Alumni Association
also relocated to the new Memorial Union.
Services Center was used as the Administration
Building for the Naval Training School during World War II. An upper level was added to
the south wing at this time to make room for additional dormitories. The Navy moved out in
After the Navy left,
Enrollment Services Center continued to
hold the offices of the YMCA and YWCA, in addition to housing about 60 male residents. For
many years, the men of Alumni Hall lived as a group much like that of a fraternity. In
1985, Iowa State University acquired ownership of the building from the Alumni Hall board
of directors, who were unable to fund the $3 million renovation necessary to prevent
further deterioration of the exterior. The male residents were relocated when the Board of
Regents converted Enrollment Services Center to a complex for student services.
On the National Register
of Historic Places since 1966, the Enrollment Services Center now houses the Office of Admissions
and the Office of the Registrar.