Phone: 515 294-9373; firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor: Angie Brown, 102 Parks Library, 515 294-0448, email@example.com
Location: Lower level of Parks Library (Room 2).
Collections: Maps, Media, and Microforms
Services and equipment available in the Media Center
- Check out and return DVDs and videos, CD-ROMs, compact discs, audiotapes, computer software, microfiche, and maps and related book items
- Renew library materials
- Audio/visual equipment for in-house use of non-circulating material
- Equipment for viewing and scanning (digitizing) microforms, slides, and negatives (free service)
- Portable microfiche readers available for checkout
- Scanning and printing of microforms by staff (fee-based service)
- Multimedia computer workstations (8) with read only versions of Kurzweil software
- Chess sets (policies and procedures)
While some Media Center materials may be checked out, others must be used in the Media Center. For more detailed information regarding Media Center loan periods, overdue fines, lost item charges, etc., see Loan periods, Fines, or the complete ISU Library Lending Policy.
Collections in this center
The Map Collection contains all types of maps, atlases, charts and globes:
- United States Geological Survey topographic maps
- US road maps
- US and foreign city maps
- National and state atlases
- National parks and forests maps
- General and thematic maps of most sections of the world
The Media Collection covers a wide range of subjects in a variety of formats:
- Movies and TV
- Educational films (in NTSC and PAL format)
- Closed Captioned video
- Audio books
- Classical and contemporary music
Audio-visual materials not on course reserve can be located through Quick Search.
Equipment for in-house use includes 1/2" VHS video, DVD, audiocassette, audio compact disc, slides, and IBM multimedia applications. Complete list of audio-visual equipment.
The Microforms Collection includes materials in microfilm, microfiche, and micro-opaque card formats:
- Government documents
- Technical reports
Equipment for viewing is available for use in-house. Portable microfiche readers may be checked out at the Media Center desk for four weeks. They can be used with fiche that circulates for four weeks. They must be renewed in person.
Five self-serve digital scanners, allowing users to scan images from microfilm or microfiche at resolutions of 200 to 800 dpi are available. The scanning itself is free of charge. Users can email scanned images or copy them to their own flash drives or CDs. Also, there are available two scanners for digitizing slides and negatives. Scanning is free for these formats and users can email scanned images or copy them to their own flash drives.
Printing services, along with staff-mediated scanning services, are available for a fee. Photocopies can be made for a fee on self-serve printers or by the staff.