Open Access Publishing
As defined by SPARC, Open Access is:
"the free, immediate, online availability of research articles, coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment."
The University Library's Open Access Research Guide is an in-depth resource on the topic and also provides helpful information such as how to locate an OA publisher and how to participate in OA through self-archiving.
Open Access Publishing Grants
An internal funding opportunity to partially cover the cost of publishing open access is available to full-time faculty and P&S staff at rank 37 or higher. The grant, Part A of the Publication Subvention Grant, covers half of the cost of an Article Processing Charge (APC) up to $1,250.
See the Publication Subvention Grants section of GrantsHub’s Internal Funding website for more details and to apply.
This grant funded through a partnership between the University Library and the Office of the Vice President for Research.
Open Access Publishing Discounts
The University Library supports Open Access publishing through memberships with the following organizations:
American Chemical Society (ACS)
- ISU authors are eligible for discounts on articles that are published open access through ACS’s “AuthorChoice” program.
- This discount is available because the University Library is an “All ACS Publications” subscriber and this discount stacks with personal ACS membership discounts.
BioMed Central, Chemistry Central, and Springer Open.
- 15% discount on Article Processing Charges (APCs) when publishing with BioMed Central, Chemistry Central, and SpringerOpen journals.
MDPI (Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute)
- 10% discount off of MDPI journal Article Processing Charges (APCs).
- MDPI is a member of the Committee On Publication Ethics (COPE), and the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA).
Nucleic Acids Research
- Reduced page charge for publishing with Nucleic Acids Research, an Open Access journal published by Oxford.
- The reduced page charge rate is $1,385 (the non-member page charge is $2,770).
- 25% discount on APCs for Open Access articles published in Royal Society journals.
- This discount applies to both full open access journals such as Open Biology and hybrid journals that offer an “open choice” article publishing option.
Royal Society of Chemistry
- This program has expired (see RCS news release).
If you have questions about Open Access or the publishing discounts you can contact your liaison librarian or the Office of Scholarly Communication.
Office of Scholarly Communication