Physical Access to Parks Library Building and Collections
For assistance with physical access needs, please call the Space and Stacks Management Unit at 515 294-0444 or inquire at the Circulation Desk, located to your immediate left as you enter the Library's main entrance.
Entering Parks Library
- Parking available on west side of building (requires permit)
- Access ramps are located at the Library's main entrance
- Automatic, electronic eye-activated entry/exit at the Library's main entrance
- Main elevators are located in the Main Lobby, along the west wall of the Lobby.
- These elevators lead to the five floors (Lower Level, and Floors 1 through 4) of the newer part of the Library.
- The elevator for access to the Tiers is located in the Learning Connections Center (First floor, along northeast wall near classroom 134).
- This elevator leads to the seven tiers (floors) in the older part of the Library, and also to the five floors of the newer part of the Library.
- All elevators are labeled with Braille.
NEW: Restroom renovation has begun in Parks Library! We are adding ADA-compliant gender-inclusive single-use restrooms on the Lower Level, and Floors 1 through 4. We expect that these restrooms on Floors 1, 2, and 3 will be functional for Fall 2018. These restrooms will be located next to the central staircase on each floor. Most construction is expected to last from May through end of Summer 2018; construction will continue on the Lower Level and 4th Floor restrooms into Fall 2018.
During Summer 2018, there are no restrooms available on the Lower Level, and parts of the Lower Level will be taped off and inaccessible to everyone during this time.
- Restrooms accommodating wheelchairs are located on Floors 1 through 4. Entering Parks Library from the main entrance doors, you are facing straight north. All restrooms are located in the newer parts of the Library, which are all areas straight north and all areas west from the Library's entrance doors. Restrooms on the Lower Level are currently (May through end of Summer 2018) being renovated and are unavailable during this time. No restrooms are located in the Tiers or the older parts of the Library building, which are on the east side of the Library building.
- Specific locations of accessible restrooms:
- Floor 1: North men's and women's restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and include 1 stall equipped with grab bars
- Floor 2: South men's and women's restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and include 1 stall equipped with grab bars
- Floor 3: South men's and women's restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and include 1 stall equipped with grab bars
- Floor 4: South men's and women's restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and include 1 stall equipped with grab bars
- Elevator access to restrooms: Accessible restrooms on Floors 2, 3, and 4 are all located within close proximity of the Library's main elevators located along the west wall
Note that restrooms on Floor 1 are the busiest in the Library and tend to be very crowded repeatedly throughout the day. Wheelchair accessible restrooms on Floors 2, 3, and 4 may be better choices for this reason.
Plans to remodel and improve restrooms in Parks Library are underway! Construction is due to begin May 2018...
Water Fountains & Bottle Filling Stations
- Accessible drinking fountains and bottle filling stations are located on Floors 1, 2, 3, and 4 within close proximity of the Library's main elevators located along the west wall.
- Restrooms accommodating wheelchairs are located on all floors except Lower Level
- Wheelchair available at Circulation Desk
- Free campus-use phone at wheelchair height located on Lower Level near central staircase
- Library workstations at wheelchair height
- Located in Main Lobby along glass wall, north
- and the Media Center (located on Lower Level)
If you are unable to evacuate the Library via the stairs or are with someone who is unable to use the stairs, go to the nearest enclosed stairwell. Tell anyone where you are and give them the stairwell and floor location on which you are located. If you were given information about a location of a person who is unable to use the stairs, immediately report this information to library staff at the command center near the east door of Atanasoff. Library staff then will notify emergency personnel (DPS, Fire, and/or Medical) of the location and arrange for the person's departure from the building.