Learning Connections Center Multimedia Production Studios Updated
A system update project has been completed for the 8 computers in the multimedia production studios on the 1st floor of the Library. The studios are equipped with powerful multimedia workstations and supporting peripherals, such as tape decks and Blu-raytm drives. The workstations are connected to the ISU computer network and designed to allow students the ability to connect, share, and work with project files. The workstations are available for use by any Library patron and can be reserved.
This most recent system upgrade implemented many improvements:
- A shift from the dual-boot studio model for all 8 multimedia computers to a "MAC only approach for 4 machines and dual-boot for 4 machines.
- The dual boot workstations include a connection to a Blu-raytm drives, as well as scanners.
- The dual-boot computers, by default, will boot to Microsoft Windows 7. The Apple Macintosh OS X Lion operating system can be accessed by restarting the computer and choosing the Apple selection from the options presented at restart.
- For the MACs, this year sees a change from Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to 10.7.5 (Lion).
- The Windows 7 operating system has the following software packages installed (which are version upgrades from last year): Microsoft Office 2010 and Adobe Creative Suite 6.
- The MAC system upgrade includes an upgrade to Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Pro (Studio) now consists of Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, and Motion. Gone are Soundbooth and DVD Studio Pro. Also upgraded is Microsoft Office to version 2011, and updates to the variety of multimedia programs embedded with the OS. And there is a new addition for those who would like to try their hand at creating Apps for the iOS and OS X: Xcode.
Machines can be reserved online. http://www.lib.iastate.edu/info/6006
Technical assistance for the machines is available at the Library Reference and Instruction Desk during the following times:
Help and Information Desk open hours:
Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday through Sunday: - 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Hours vary on holidays.