Cataloging & Metadata
Department Head: Lori Osmus Kappmeyer, Associate Professor, 515 294-4281, firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff: 4 faculty, 1 P & S, 8.675 FTE merit
Physical Location: 204 Parks Library
Units: Serials Cataloging; Monographs Original Cataloging; Monographs Copy Cataloging
Serials Cataloging Unit
Section Telephone: 515 294-0432
Responsibilities: Catalogs and recatalogs serial titles, including added copies, added volumes, transfers, withdrawals, and retention changes; searches new titles for OCLC copy; edits serial records for OCLC and the local online catalog; performs authority work related to items cataloged; makes circulation decisions for newly cataloged serials.
Monographs Original Cataloging Unit
- Jeanne Boydston, Associate Professor, 515 294-3456, email@example.com
- Monographs Humanities Cataloger
- Metadata Cataloging Coordinator
- Judy Gerdes, Library Assistant III (.5), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lenard Kluck, Library Assistant III, email@example.com
- Joan Leysen, Associate Professor, 515 294-0428, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monographs Social Sciences Cataloger
- Electronic Resources Cataloging Coordinator
- Julie Schubert, Library Assistant IV (.375), email@example.com
- Greg Wool, Associate Professor, 515 294-5774, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monographs Science and Technology Cataloger
Responsibilities: Catalogs monographs originally or with OCLC copy lacking acceptable Library of Congress call number and/or subject headings; catalogs media material, archival collections, monographic analytics of serial issues, and monograph analyzed sets; performs authority work related to items cataloged.
Monographs Copy Cataloging Unit
Unit Head: Kim Gawley, P&S, 515 294-0427, email@example.com
- Jeff Hall, Library Assistant IV(.8), 515 294-0429, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jane Vogelzang, Library Assistant IV, 515 294-0429, email@example.com
- Stacey Bonello, Library Assistant III, 515 294-0429, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kathy Kent, Library Assistant III, 515 294-9883, email@example.com
Responsibilities: Final pre-order bibliographic searching of monograph firm order requests; also, necessary pre-cataloging searching for automatic receipts, e.g., approvals, gifts. Searching OCLC Online Union Catalog for appropriate cataloging records for all monographs (firm orders and automatic receipts). Cataloging monographs with Library of Congress records and most items with OCLC member-library records, primarily those with LC classification numbers; also, creation/updating of in-process records for items not cataloged at receipt. Cataloging ISU theses. Some monographs cataloging maintenance, including correction of errors and holdings changes resulting from additional copies, transfers between Library locations and withdrawals. Verifies headings new to the local online catalog; determines appropriate references; changes incorrect/obsolete headings; creates authority records.
This department is part of the ISU Library's Collections & Technical Services Division.