Dissertations and theses
ISU dissertations and theses
To search for ISU dissertations and theses by author, title, subject, year, or other keyword, use one or more of the following tools:
- Digital Repository @ Iowa State University: Includes Iowa State theses and dissertations from Fall 2008-present. These theses are open access, and are made available for personal or research use.
- Dissertations and Theses @ ISU: Includes all doctoral dissertations (1916-present) and recent masters theses (Fall 2006-present) Note that the full text of ISU's digital theses and dissertations is available only to members of the ISU community (current students, faculty, and staff) or individuals searching from campus IP addresses. All others can view only the first 25 pages of a digital thesis or dissertation from ISU.
- Quick Search: Includes all ISU dissertations and theses, regardless of date. Add to your search term the word "thesis" (rather than "dissertation") and the phrase "iowa state," along with relevant keywords for subject, date, and/or degree. Examples:
- "iowa state" AND thesis AND 1926
- "iowa state" AND thesis AND engineering
- "iowa state" AND thesis AND ms AND bridges
- "iowa state" AND thesis AND phd AND biomass
The ISU Library maintains printed versions of all doctoral dissertations and masters theses completed by ISU students through Fall 2009. Commencing in 2010, electronic copies only are available. Locations of printed copies vary, depending on publication date:
- Published prior to 1974: One printed copy is housed in Special Collections, another in the Parks Library General Collection, shelved by call number based on subject area.
- 1974-Summer 2006: One printed copy is housed in Special Collections, another in the Parks Library General Collection. Commencing in 1974, theses in the general collection are shelved together under a uniform call number, beginning ISU <year>, where <year> is the publication date. Within a given year, theses are sub-arranged by author.
- Fall 2006-Fall 2009: A printed copy is maintained only in the Special Collections Department.
- Spring 2010-present: There is no printed copy in the ISU Library; only electronic copies are available.
The library also provides access to full-text, electronic versions of all doctoral dissertations (1916-present) and recent masters theses (Fall 2006-present) via Dissertations and Theses @ ISU.
North American dissertations and theses
- Dissertations and Theses: Full-Text (formerly Dissertation Abstracts) is the place to start. It includes citations for most doctoral dissertations and many masters theses; abstracts for dissertations from 1980-present and master's theses from 1988-present; and 1 million+ downloadable full-text dissertations and theses. (1637-present, covering U.S. and Canada with some international material).
Non-American dissertations and theses
Need more help?
Contact staff at the Help & Information Desk during its open hours, or Ask us!