Open Access Publishing
As defined by SPARC, Open Access is:
"the free, immediate, online availability of research articles, coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment."
The University Library's Open Access Research Guide is an in-depth resource on the topic and also provides helpful information such as how to locate an OA publisher and how to participate in OA through self-archiving.
Open Access Publishing Grants
An internal funding opportunity to partially cover the cost of publishing open access is available to full-time faculty and P&S staff at rank 37 or higher. The grant, Part A of the Publication Subvention Grant, covers half of the cost of an Article Processing Charge (APC) up to $1,250.
See the Publication Subvention Grants section of GrantsHub’s Internal Funding website for more details or to apply.
This grant is funded through a partnership between the University Library and the Office of the Vice President for Research.
Open Access Publishing Discounts
The University Library also supports Open Access publishing through memberships with the following organizations:
American Chemical Society (ACS)
- ISU authors are eligible for discounts on articles that are published open access through ACS’s “AuthorChoice” program.
- This discount is available because the University Library is an “All ACS Publications” subscriber and this discount stacks with personal ACS membership discounts.
- ISU authors are eligible for 10% discounts on open access monographs published through the University of California Press' OA book publisher, Luminos.
- This discount is available because the ISU Library is part of Luminos' Member Library Program, which we joined in 2018.
MDPI (Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute)
- 10% discount off of MDPI journal Article Processing Charges (APCs).
- MDPI is a member of the Committee On Publication Ethics (COPE), and the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA).
Nucleic Acids Research
- Reduced page charge for publishing with Nucleic Acids Research, an Open Access journal published by Oxford.
- The reduced page charge rate is $1,385 (the non-member page charge is $2,770).
- 25% discount on APCs for Open Access articles published in Royal Society journals.
- This discount applies to both full open access journals such as Open Biology and hybrid journals that offer an “open choice” article publishing option.
Royal Society of Chemistry
- This program has expired (see RCS news release).
Open Access Publishing with the Digital Press
The University Library also supports Open Access publishing more directly, through our Digital Press. The Iowa State University Digital Press publishes open access journals, conference proceedings, and monographs in subject areas represented in Iowa State’s curricular and research offerings. Besides existing journals, conference proceedings, and monographs created by Iowa State faculty, students, and staff, the Digital Press can also help create and host new publications!
- For more information about the Digital Press' publishing services, view their Scholarly Publishing Services website.
If you have questions about Open Access or the publishing discounts you can contact your liaison librarian or the Office of Scholarly Communication.
Office of Scholarly Communication