Home History of the Campanile History of the Bells Images of the Campanile "Bells of Iowa State" Inaugural Program Glossary of Terms

Images of the Campanile

 
  A baseball game held on central campus, no date, possibly circa 1900
     
     
 
     

Installation of bells, 1929

     
     
 
     

Sheep were used to keep the grass on campus short, a herder kept them moving to ensure an even cut, August 9, 1905.

     
     
The Campanile as viewed from the Farm House, September 1905
   
   
The Campanile, 1929
   
   
"Campaniling" or kissing under the Campanile, usually at the stroke of midnight, has become an Iowa State tradition.  This picture was taken in 1954.
   
   
The Campanile in winter, circa 1970.
   
   
The Campanile under renovatation between 1992 and 1994.

If you would like assistance locating additional images of the Campanile, please contact the Special Collections Department by calling 515-294-6672.

 

Sponsored by the University Archives, Iowa State University Library

Copyright 2006

Comments: tzanish@iastate.edu